In this article, I will show you step by step a new method (protocol) of music distribution using blockchain technology. In this prototype of distributing music through Web 3.0, I used creativity to gather several tools that are already available to anyone in the world who has an internet connection. It is a new possibility of fully autonomous and fair art distribution for artists in the music field to explore. It is the future in the present. It is the novelty showing itself in a glimpse. It is the practice and the search for the end of intermediaries that steal the workforce of artists.
The song (FUNK DO SATOSHI - SATOSHI'S FUNK) used in this distribution prototype is a Funk Carioca (funk from Rio de Janeiro) and was created by me (codename Dj Caboclo - artistic entity of Nino Arteiro in music). Funk carioca, or just funk, is a musical style that emerged in the favelas of the state of Rio de Janeiro (Brazil). Despite having the same name, it is different from funk originating in the United States.
This music distribution prototype was made with just one song, but it can be generalized and used to distribute a complete album. Soon, in this year 2020, Dj Caboclo will release his first independent album using this new way of distributing music through the blockchain and mixing with cryptoart, NFT and augmented reality.
The step by step simulating the distribution of a complete album:
1) Produce the songs from the album;
- To create the song “FUNK DO SATOSHI”, I used the professional music production program FL Studio. It is also important to say that, in this song, I used and remixed two audio fragments from the first episode of the Brazilian documentary “Around the Block”.
Image from "FL Studio" program
2) Create a cryptoart (GIF) for the NFT that will be the moving image of the album cover;
- This cryptoart is an NFT and is also a digital collectible. Even if this cryptoart has an unlimited edition, each cryptoart (NFT) is unique. The person who buys the cryptoart will have an NFT in his wallet and will also have access to the songs of the album, and will be able to keep the cryptoart as a digital collectible or give as a gift, donate or even sell to another person.
3) Tokenize the cryptoart and attach the file with the songs from the album to the NFT;
- I used the Codex platform to tokenize the cryptoart and attach the file with the music. I also attached a file with the album cover image. In this new music distribution method, the NFT will be the digital part of the album. It is important to say that the Codex platform still has a vulnerability in relation to digital art (CHAMELEON (Or A VULNERABILITY)) which, in my opinion, needs to be corrected. But it is the only current tokenization platform that allows the attachment of audio files to NFT.
Image of the tokenization process of the cryptoart and annexation of the audio file
4) Print an image of the cryptoart. This image will be the static image of the album cover and will give access to the augmented reality, besides secretly storing the seed phrase that will give access to NFT and the songs;
- The album cover print will be the physical part of the album and will give access to the digital part (NFT and songs).
Photo of the print of the album cover – Front
Photo of the print of the album cover - On the back (with the phrase seed hidden)
5) Create augmented reality by linking the static image to the moving image with music;
- To create the augmented reality process, I used the ARTIVIVE application. Augmented reality is yet another tool for artists to explore their creative potentials, allowing the connection between physical art and digital art. Augmented reality is another incredible option for the artist to present his art and interact with people who appreciate his work.
6) Make the album's NFT available for sale online;
- I used the OpenSea Platform to sell the album's NFTs, but there are other similar platforms.
Image of the NFTs from the album for sale on the OpenSea platform
7) Sell the album cover print in person;
- Making an analogy with the traditional way of distributing music, the album cover print will be the Web 3.0 CD. The CD was the physical part of the album and gave access to the songs. The album cover print will have the same function. Furthermore, the album cover print can also be used as a physical collectible and as a decorative element (ornament). The artist will be able to put a frame on the printed image and transform it into a beautiful work of physical art that will be the portal to access a music album.
Photo of the album cover print with frame
8) Publicize on social networks.
- Social networks have become the gallery and portfolio of artists. We no longer need intermediaries. Therefore, study and understand well the functioning of these new tools that are giving visibility to the workers of the art.
I wanted to emphasize that in this new music distribution protocol, there are two ways to sell the album. The first way is by selling the album's NFT online. The person who buys the NFT of the album will have the cryptoart in their wallet that will give access to the download of the songs. The second way is by selling the album cover print. In this second way of selling, the person who buys will have the physical and digital part of the album, that is, the person will have the album cover print and will also have the NFT with the cryptoart in his wallet that will give access to the download of the songs.
A question that needs to be answered: after the person buys the NFT from the album or the album cover print, how will they download the songs? The person who buys the NFT of the album will have to enter the Codex platform with the same address as the wallet that made the purchase. Then, the person will have to access the NFT, go to additional files and download. The person who buys the album cover print will have to install the MetaMask wallet extension in the browser (use Google Chrome, as Firefox, Opera and Brave still don't work very well on Codex). Then, the person will use the seed phrase that will be in the album cover print to import the existing wallet. Finally, the person will have to enter in the Codex platform with this wallet, access NFT (that was already transferred by Dj Caboclo), go in additional files and download the album. Everything very simple, fast and easy.
It is important to say that, as the artist had access to the seed phrases of the wallets during the creation of the accounts, I advise the person who buys the print of the album cover (only the person who buys the print) not to use the wallet in which the NFT has been delivered. I advise the person to create another account in the MetaMask wallet and transfer their NFT to that other account. This way, only the person will have access to the seed phrase of the new account and, therefore, there will be no risk of someone transferring (stealing) their NFT. We must not forget that the phrase seed gives access to the account. Therefore, this secret phrase must be kept safe and confidential so that no one can see it.
Regarding the license to use the song “FUNK DO SATOSHI”, the license used for this song and for the album that will be released this year by Dj Caboclo is as free as possible. This license is based on the ideals of Free Culture, which proposes that every cultural, scientific and technological good produced should belong to the whole society. Information wants to be free! The capitalist idea of possession is a occidental illusion that brings a lot of suffering, destruction, inequality and that must be urgently rethought. Therefore, this license allows anyone to distribute, remix, adapt and develop their work using the song “FUNK DO SATOSHI”, even commercially. I only ask the person to quote the original creator and that the new work produced also follows the same license. Regarding the cryptoart "FUNK DO SATOSHI", both digital (GIF) and physical (print), the license of use is the same as above.
Finally, in order to practice a Post-capitalist Economy based on abundance and not scarcity, I will make the song "FUNK DO SATOSHI" available for free download. This way, the main product generated (the music) in this creative process will be free. People who like my work have the option to buy the NFT of the album or the album cover print as a way to encourage me and finance me so that I can continue creating art and bringing beauty and information to people's lives. We need to do it differently! We are in a very propitious historical moment to create the new, rework, risk and practice a more beautiful, collaborative, fair and abundant world. In these times of great changes of consciousness, the sick ideals of capitalism of unbridled accumulation are languishing in the hearts of many of us, and there are many signs of the radical change that is approaching.
DOWNLOAD THE SONG “FUNK DO SATOSHI” >>>
NINO ARTEIRO >>> OPENSEA
SOCIAL MEDIA - DJ CABOCLO >>>
SOCIAL MEDIA - NINO ARTEIRO >>>
- Web Site
GROUPS ON TELEGRAM >>>
- CRYPTOARTISTS (English)
- CRIPTOARTE BRASIL (Portuguese)
#NinoArteiro #DjCaboclo #FUNKDOSATOSHI #Cryptoart #Music #Distribution #Autonomy #Prototype #DigitalCollectible #NFT #AR